Thursday, April 16, 2015

What Your Wedding Photographer Wants YOU To Know



What Your Wedding Photographer Wants You To Know



     I have to admit and say with a bit of regret- I skimped on the wedding photos and was also too stubborn (and shy) to take anything but a few pictures from our lil' wedding chapel photographer in Vegas'.  When we actually had our  “reception" in our hometown- we still didn’t opt for professional photos, any wedding reception decorations (aside from family putting up streamers) and to boot, I stubbornly refused to wear the dress I got married in. (Mule!Right?) Instead, not wanting to be in the spotlight, I wore a simple black dress and I later created my wedding album from photos I snapped myself or our guests snapped. (It's not impressive, I'm sure you can imagine.) I’m an introvert, what can I say… The very thought of people having  all their attention focused on me walking down a church aisle was enough to push me into the idea of our low-key Las Vegas wedding as was the thought of standing and posing with a 'Chandler Bing'esque portrait-smile' being all I needed in my mind, to shut it all down. 

     As fate would have it though, here I am in the wedding business and I recently had the fortunate opportunity to pick the brains of one of Chicagoland’s most chic and talented wedding photography boutiques: H  Photography.  So, in my attempts to negate this regret-energy I still (sort of, a teensy-weensy-bit) hold onto, I in turn decided to pass this on to you, so that you may be a little better equipped than I was when I panicked and bailed on the entire idea of a traditional wedding, wedding photographer, etc.,

    So, what does your engagement/wedding photographer want YOU to know?  Read on my dear, read on.....



Q: What advice would you give couples for getting the best results possible in their wedding and engagement photos?  Is there anything they can do or actively plan for, to ensure good photos?

HP:  Smile and be in the moment with your loved one.  It’s your special day, so don’t think about whether your mother-in-law likes you, don’t think about the costs of the wedding; think about your partner in front of you and how wonderful that person is and why you’re getting married to that person.  Don’t “act” in love, BE in love with one another and SMILE.  Get lost in your partner’s eyes and really enjoy the time you spend with one another.
 
Locations are key!

Q: Are there certain backdrops/locations that make for really interesting and good pictures?
 
HP:  Consider going to a location that's meaningful to you as a couple, but be prepared for bad weather (if the first choice is outside and is a no-go.) Sometimes if the weather is bad or we simply can't go there on that day for whatever reason, we'll offer a location that has the best backdrop. For example, many couples love to capture the Chicago skyline or the Chicago River, so we often choose places like the Adler Planetarium or the Fox River.



Don't let Clothing trip up your photo shoot!

Q:   Are particular colors of clothing for engagement photos better for photographing? Do you have any advice when it comes to clothing for our couples?

HP:  It can be a bit tricky for couples, because the women always look so fancy and their husbands always look like a hot mess. I often suggest to couples that they dress up as if they're going to a REALLY nice dinner party, like if you were to meet the President would you want to be in jeans? Think like that. 
     We do sessions where the couple changes wardrobe in the middle so it doesn't have to be so formal throughout the entire photo session. The wardrobe change is usually when we integrate a theme into the photos (they like to play guitar, snowboard or other hobbies). The bottom line message is to try to compliment each other in dress code instead of being on the opposite sides of the fashion spectrum.
  
Q:  How do you accommodate bridal insecurity issues or body issues that may effect how well a photo shoot goes? 

HP:  It depends on the person and what exactly they’re insecure about.  For most women, it’s their stomach area, so we will change posing or lighting to help them feel more secure.  Some brides don’t like to be photographed from a side angle, so we’ll accommodate with the man maybe covering some of the perceived problem areas with his arms (hugging the bride, holding the bride, etc.,) to make her feel more comfortable.

Pets in engagement/wedding photos- a rising trend!



Q:  Have you encountered or have any tips for couples wanting to incorporate their furry family members in the photo shoot?

HP: Yes, we have done a number of husband, bride and pet photos.  We often advise couples that your pet should definitely be well fed and  “dressed for a wedding.


The Pinterest effect?!

   
     Q:  What is the hottest trend you’re seeing right now? 


HP: The largest trend we've seen so far are couples bringing  signs and props along to the photo shoots. I think this has increased over the years mostly because of websites like Pinterest that help inspire people to do creative and goofy things in their wedding or engagement photos. 
     



* It's pretty safe to say I'll never have the dreamy Pinterest inspired engagement or wedding shoot however, perhaps one day I'll be able to use alllll of those hundreds(seriously)of treasured Pinterest gems for my second wedding (HA! Just kidding my love) vow renewal or for our 20th wedding anniversary- right... ;)  Perhaps all was not lost and there just may be room for do-overs there...
xo
P.S. Enjoy some more photo inspiration by H Photography below. You'll be glad you did. ;)

0 comments:

SHOP New Arrivals

Follow Us

Powered by Blogger.